Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure host newbie

From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew () sohohouse com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:36:11 +0100

-------------
I believe the ones that have decided that they should use RH7.3 have
done it probably because either they prefer it (they might be too
conservative IMO) or because there is no security requirement; I believe
the servers are behing all sort of security devices that take care of
everything.  In any case, I plan on buying my own computers in a few
months so practice (on a secured network) is much better than nothing!
-------------

Wow, majorly vertical management structure! As an implementer, are you not
in direct communication with the people who have specified these terms? Just
because a box is behind a firewall and a ton of Ciscos doesn't mean it
shouldn't be as secure as possible, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, being behind a firewall isn't gonna protect you from a local user
who wants to r00t it, or use it for any other purposes under the cloak of
your company's public IP. I'd be very careful if I were you.

Good luck,

Andrew

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html