Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:52:20 +0200

On 2004-03-30 Xilo Musimene wrote:
    Have a look at www.linux-sec.net, but you should pay an expert to
    help you. Look for someone who will know how to work close to your
    budget, there are guys out there who doesn't know how to work
    without a big budget. There are a lot of ways to improve security
    with low budget, but hire someone to help you.

I'll give that website a thorough shot!

I'm not going to try becoming an expert in just a few days...  But I
expect I can become fairly expert in specific topics.  Such as
firewalls; I beleive this topic is fairly small and could be covered
completely within a few days.

I believe you're in for a surprise ;)

Firewalling (even packet filtering) is a very complex topic and I
seriously doubt you will be able to cover it in just a few days. A few
months at least is much more likely.

I guess you are going to use iptables, so I would recommend [1] as an
introduction into how iptables works. But you will also need thorough
knowledge of how networking (i.e. TCP/IP) works to fully understand what
you are doing (which I would strongly recommend since there are already
enough rooted boxes out there).

[1] http://www.netfilter.org/

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html