Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall for Business use

From: Ivan Hernandez <ivan.hernandez () globalsis com ar>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:21:12 -0300

Simon Gray wrote:

I need to install personal firewall on a win2000 server,
can you please recommend me with a good one,
and it would be great if someone supplied with a comparison table between
most popular >personal firewalls, or a link that gives the same thing.

Could you not use windows tcp/ip network filtering?

This is hard to set up UDP filters, and as most irritating thing happen with 135UDP on windows (like messenger advertising) it's a very bad way to set up a firewall. Also this filter requieres a restart of the system for each test, and has no connection tracking features (rejects pakets you requested) and does not give you application level protections (your recently downloaded trojan horse will go to shop on internet freely).
it's a pity to have a so unusable filter on windows.

ivan hernandez
http://biromeponja.8k.com

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------