Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall for Business use

From: "Simon Gray" <simong () desktop-guardian com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:27:07 -0000

I need to install personal firewall on a win2000 server,
can you please recommend me with a good one,
and it would be great if someone supplied with a comparison table between
most popular >personal firewalls, or a link that gives the same thing.

Could you not use windows tcp/ip network filtering?

Go to network properties (control pannel - network), then properties of the
connection in question. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then properties,
then advanced, then the options tab at the top. Then select TCP/IP Filtering
and you can enable filtering there.

E.g. Permit only port 25 (email-smtp), 80 (www), 445 (www-ssl) etc..

Might save you buying a personal firewall.

Hope this helps

Simon

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027