Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Alert when MAC address connects to network

From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:48:05 +1000

Magnus,
Yes, in the Cisco world there's port security ... "If a workstation with a secure MAC that is address configured or
learned on one secure port attempts to access another secure port, a violation is flagged." ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800da706.html

cheers
Ivan

Ivan Coric
IT Technical Security Officer
Information Technology
WorkCover Queensland
Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
Email: ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au

Magnus Rembold <magnus () munterbund de> 10/21/03 02:24am >>>
Hi all!

We've got a problem in our school building. There are a lot of laptops
in various classrooms and now there is one that has been stolen. We'd
really like to be alerted when this machine connects again to the
network and like to get our hands on the one using it now.

Is there a possibility to get alarmed, when a certain MAC address
connects to our network? Any other recommendations to our problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Magnus

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used
for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this
information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.