Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: scary but true

From: "Keller, Tim" <Tim.Keller () stratus com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:03:02 -0400

I think the best thing you could setup a demonstration and scare the crap
out of them...

My wife was convinced that her mail and IM traffic was secure until I sat
her down and with ethereal took apart all the packets her machine had
received in the last 30 minutes and reconstructed all her IM conversations,
all the websites she had visited and all the mail she had read.  Needless to
say, she was very surprised and had a new appreciated for how "open" the
internet was.

When people are busy sailing down the river of denial, sometimes you need to
give them a kick in the pants...

Later,
Tim.