Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Alert when MAC address connects to network

From: Peteris Krumins <newsgroups () lf lv>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:07:52 +0300

MR> Hi all!

MR> We've got a problem in our school building. There are a lot of laptops
MR> in various classrooms and now there is one that has been stolen. We'd
MR> really like to be alerted when this machine connects again to the
MR> network and like to get our hands on the one using it now.

MR> Is there a possibility to get alarmed, when a certain MAC address
MR> connects to our network? Any other recommendations to our problem?

Oh, yes its certainly possible.

The simplest solution would be to write a program, which would
monitor the arp table entries on routers which are on the same network
the laptops can be connected to. If the same mac detected, shoot out
an alert.

P.Krumins

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021