Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Network Configuration

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:23:23 -0700

  One implements a DMZ in order to impose three sets of
firewall rules:
  - between the internet and the DMZ subnet
  - between the internet and the trusted subnet
  - between the DMZ subnet and the trusted subnet

  Ignoring, for the moment, vulnerabilities in the firewall
itself (more on that later), a single box with three
interfaces is quite adequate to deliver this functionality
at a quite reasonable cost.

  If, instead, you use two boxes, your traffic between the
internet and the trusted subnet incurs an extra router hop
in each direction.  Not a big deal, but performance purists
tend to complain about firewall overheads already.
  Two firewalls will not necessarily cost more than one, if
you can get away with SOHO models that only have two interfaces
instead of industrial-strength boxes which typically support
three or more.

  The usual justification for using two firewalls is that an
attacker would have to get past both to get into the trusted
network.  You only really achieve this benefit if the boxes run
different OS and firewall code, so that no single vulnerability
works against both.
  But if you use two boxes, then your rules that govern traffic
between the internet and the trusted subnet may appear on either
box -- are, in fact, the intersection of rules found on both
boxes.  Correctly managing such a split ruleset can be a challenge,
even if both boxes use the same syntax and user interface -- which
they won't, if they're distinct enough to cover against firewall
vulnerabilities!
  (A simple and fairly robust approach is to instantiate the full
ruleset dictated by policy on both boxes.)

  Some organizations consider the additional security of using two
firewalls to justify the additional cost.  I suspect many then
lose the addition by deploying two similar boxes because they
trust them and already know how to manage them....
  Others regard it as a win to get all the necessary functionality
and good performance in a single inexpensive and easily-managed box.
  Your choice will depend on the priorities of your organization.

David Gillett