Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Network Configuration

From: "Stuart" <secmail () patchsupplier dyndns org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:44:53 +0100

Hello,
Yes, mail servers, web servers, ftp etc are your DMZ buddies. The one
firewall with 3 interfaces provides the logical topology of the
firewall> dmz> firewall> lan  layout but physically it does not. One
thing I do not understand by doing this is security, if the firewall is
compromised it does not matter DMZ or not the lan can be accessed, but
from a firewall>dmz>firewall>lan phyiscal layout this would be far
difficult especially if the other firewall is from a different vendor as
the same exploit would not work twice :). I think the true 'standard'
for a DMZ is to not have the servers themselves talking to the lan which
your solution currently does the job of doing. Does anyone have any info
regarding a true DMZ definition?

Hth,
Stu