Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Network Configuration

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:04:47 +0200

On 2003-10-14 Smith, KC wrote:
Most LAN configs I've seen include two, separate pieces of hardware to
define the DMZ.  A firewall on the outside and another firewall or
policy switch on the inside is usually how I've seen that handled.

My new company uses 3 separate NICs in the same firewall.  One for
inbound, one for the LAN and one for the DMZ.  Each has it's own
address block.

It seems like using the firewall to do this makes sense, but I'd
appreciate some external confirmation on that.

Both implementations have their pros and cons. The 2-firewall-setup has
the advantage that an attacker cannot bypass the DMZ by attacking the
external firewall. You still have a second line of defense between the
world and your LAN. The downside of this setup is the administrative
overhead due to the different firewalls (configuration, patching, etc.).
A 1-firewall-setup is easier to maintain as you have only one system,
but probably not as secure as a 2-firewall-setup. You will have to
estimate whether the gain on security justifies the higher complexity of
two different firewalls.

The second issue is this: is there a rule of thumb to determine what
should and should not go in the DMZ vs. the LAN?  It seems to me that
anything that requires access from outside the network (Ex. DNS
servers, Mail servers, demo servers, etc.) should go in the DMZ. True?

Yes.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers