Security Basics mailing list archives

Weird TCP 1755 port on freebsd box

From: "Rick Zhong" <isc00801 () nus edu sg>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 07:27:08 +0800

hi, all
this is really strange. I detected opened 1755 (wms) port on my freebsd box.
(i use nmap to scan and also verify it using telnet to the port.) However i
cannot find  any services which is using this port on my server. (it seems
all the machine in this IP range opens 1755 port according to nmap,  this
is very weird)

Also i tried to block the incoming traffic to this port by adding (deny from
any to myaddress 1755 ) to my ipfw rules , but it seems i can still reach
the port. Meanwhile snort also detects a lot of cyberkit ICMP (Welchia i
believe) packets targeting at port 135 on my server.

Anyone can give me some enlightment on this . thanks.

regards,
Rick