Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Weird TCP 1755 port on freebsd box

From: "Rick Zhong" <isc00801 () nus edu sg>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 05:18:10 +0800

hi,
thanks for all the replies... i have realized that this weird tcp 1755 port
thing is all due to the firewall (or other settings?)  of my schools'
network where i launch the nmap scanning and telnet.

My server is outside my school's network, therefore when i use my pc (which
is inside my school's firewall) to scan my freebsd box , it shows that the
1755 port is opened on the freebsd box. (i scanned all the 20 machines on
the same IP segment with my server and all shows port 1755 is opened.)  If i
use a machine outside my school's network to scan the freebsd box, there is
no 1755 port and telnet also cannot connect.

Now I am just wondering what kind of firewall/LAN  setting can cause nmap to
get this kind of discrepancy.

regards,
Rick