Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: suggestions on a good firewall

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:42:58 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Louie [mailto:tech.louie () verizon net]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 04:35 PM
To: 'Mike Heitz', salgak () speakeasy net, 'Mark Ng', security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: suggestions on a good firewall

Hey Mike,

      Well I just started learning on my
MCSE. I read your post about being a
good admin for w2k box. That you could
build a good firewall. Well would  you
mind if you could teach me or give me
some good tips on it? I also would like
to be a good admin like yourself toward
windows, linux.

So when you have time feel free to email
me back

Before you build a firewall, you have to ask several questions:

1. What am I protecting ?  A home network, a small business, a major enterprise ?

2. What do I want to allow into my network from the net ?  Do I want to filter content ?  Have a virus filter ?

3. How much do I want to spend ?

Security isn't a cut-and-dried thing, it's a process and a mindset.  Security
is finally a part of the MCSE curriculum, but the bottom line on a firewall is this:  Start with allowing nothing.  And
then open up the minimum required to get the job done.  And minimum requirements in a business environment do NOT
include holes for AOL instant messenger, no matter how much Sheila the Secretary claims it to be essential.  Nor is any
P2P file-sharing app like KaZaa or suchlike. ..

Keith

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics