Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Writing firewall ruleserts ... Recommend good procedure and resource for ports lookup?

From: "Mark (fat)" <fat () users sourceforge net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:27:24 +0100

Sorry, I kept the request vague to stay away from specific technology
but all I ended up doing was being confusing.

I am not looking for an explanation of how to write rules for a specific
platform. What I am interested in is the procedural steps to take to
capture requirements from a large user and developer base. i.e. a "non
technical explanation of what the firewall needs to do".

Turning these into platform specific rulesets is something I am ok with.

A good example would be the "open source pen testing manual". This lays
out the steps to take to "do" a comprehensive pen test but does not
explain how to use any tools, write code etc.... A procedural thing.

Thanks for all the replys so far :).... Appreciated

Mark(fat)