Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Writing firewall ruleserts ... Recommend good procedure and resource for ports lookup?

From: "Brian J. Smith-Sweeney" <bsweeney () physics ucsb edu>
Date: 15 May 2003 10:19:39 -0700

Firewall Builder is a nice interface; it looks a lot like the firewall
creation tool for Checkpoint's Firewall-1, which I always liked a lot.

You can check out fwbuilder at:

        http://www.fwbuilder.org/

It was also just featured in LinuxJournal I believe, but I don't have
that link.

For something a little less GUI and a little simpler, I use the MonMotha
firewall script at home with quite a bit of success.  You can find that
one at

        http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

Which really just uses bash/iptables.

For others, search around on www.sourceforge.net or www.freshmeat.net.
There are tons.

As for translating services into ports...how about /etc/services on
linux? ;-)  Are you just trying to get a list of what ports use what
services? If so, you can just search on google for "tcp ports" or "udp
ports".

-Brian