Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: Robert Gibons <RGibons () Lanmarkcomputers com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:39:43 -0400

I would use IPCop which is based on Smoothwall http://www.ipcop.org It is a
dedicated Linux based firewall solution, with support for DHCP, NAT (port
forwarding), a DNZ, Web Proxy via Squid and intrusion detection, just to
name a few of the features. Just download the ISO, burn to CD, boot on the
system that is to be the firewall box and follow the prompts, my last
install took less then 10 min. including configuration. Admin is via a nice
web interface (green zone accessable only) as are updates after
installation. The current version 1.3 is based on the 2.4.x kernal and uses
iptables. Well that's my two cents anyway, best of luck.

Robert Gibons