Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any good method to check network overload?

From: swin <swin () student dlut edu cn>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:46:42 +0800

David Wrote:
This suggests that if ping times are consistently more than some value,
or are timing out, then the network is probably overloaded.  (Pings
will also time out if the router is down, but you probably want to alert
for that, too.  If you need to distinguish between the two cases, compare
pings OF the router with pings THROUGH the router.)

  What we want is an reliable way to check overload ,and we especially
accentuate it should be reliable,this method sounds a lttle rough,indeed
it can check if system is overload,but is it very reliable for automatic
check?and we hope to install the check program on the server or router itself,if so ,is it different?

  Thanks for you suggestion!

  swin. wang