Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Getting the message to Testers

From: shawnmer <shawnmer () io com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 01:46:59 -0600 (CST)

Hi James,

One suggestion I have is from the testing tools perspective.  In my
experience a major stumbling block for testers is running *NIX attack
tools, particularly if the developers are heavy Windows focused.  To help
remedy this situation I put together a bunch of security tools and got
them running on Knoppix <www.knopper.net>.  It's worked well in the sense
that the developers can learn and run attack tools without the pain of
*really* learning *NIX and the pain/joy of compilation, dependencies, etc.

Cheers,

-scm

JM:James McGee