Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any good method to check network overload?

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:09:25 -0600

NOTHING will work.  Everything I've ever read says that if you really look
into network traffic and behavior, you'll find that the patterns are
fractal.

The best you could do is to use the counters built into the sequence of
remote devices between the points you want to measure.  That won't work
because most of them won't make their data available to an outsider.  So
you're out of luck.

Anything else you do is all but doomed to fail.

At best, you can simulate ONE particular set of network traffic (be it ICMP
or a http: connection to a host) or whatever.  And all that that means is
that that particular set of network traffic has a specific response.

Since any and all traffic can have different QoS and handling (delays,
differential routing, even different servers acting as the end-points), you
simply can't tell - remotely - about anything other than what you simulate.
Plus, you have the observer effect - your simulated load might be what
forces a specific link to invoke a back-off procedure or to drop packets -
and the affected data might not be proportionally from your simulated load.

-----Burton