Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: redhat audit

From: Ulrich Keil <ulrich () der-keiler de>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:32:40 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:01:05PM -0600, Matthew Sallee wrote:
recently my redhat box was compromised and i'm auditing changes that were made
(i didn't notice for several days).

i've been trying to create a command that will allow me view all the files
modified in the last x number of days.

i've tried piping ls to grep with minimal success. any help is greatly
appreciated...

matt

Because any good attacker would install a root-kid on your machine, it
is nearly impossible to detect modified files if the machine is
running.

Try to boot the box with a rescue linux system like knoppix:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Then you have a chance to find out what has been done.

Ulrich
--
http://www.derkeiler.com
PGP Fingerprint: 5FA4 4C01 8D92 A906 E831  CAF1 3F51 8F47 1233 9AAD