Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap status question

From: Shaun Moore <shaunige () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:45:51 +0100 (BST)

To put it very trivially, when a port is "filtered" it
drops packets which do not originate from a trusted IP
address.  Just one example of when port filtering is
used is for "backdoors" or "trojans".  These often
only accept connections from user-specified IP
addresses, and silently ignore all other traffic.

If you want a more detailed and more technically
indeph explanation, I'm sure the Nmap page has some
reference to it in some place or another;
www.insecure.org/nmap

Thank you for your time.
Shaun.

--- marc brown <marc.brown () watsonwyatt com> wrote: >

i am new to linux but after getting my rh9 box
running
i have started to use nmap to do some scanning of my
networks.  can someone tell me exactly what it means
when the state of a particular port is 'filtered'?

thanks,
marc