Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap status question

From: john mathew <applicant3 () rediffmail com>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 07:27:42 -0000

Hi Marc ....

A port is in either of the two states ie , open or closed at any point of
time. But using a firewall a particular port can be blocked.In such a
scenario when nmap is run aganist  a system which has a particular port
blocked by a firewall , then the nmap result will show that the particular
port as filtered .

Normally nmap will show only two types of output ie the open and the
filtered ports , the closed ports are not shown .

Regards

Mathew

i am new to linux but after getting my rh9 box running
i have started to use nmap to do some scanning of my
networks.  can someone tell me exactly what it means
when the state of a particular port is 'filtered'?

thanks,
marc

-