Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pcAnywhere...Outbound Only.

From: ATD <simon () snosoft com>
Date: 28 Jan 2003 22:50:54 -0500

The communication is one way but the traffic is two way, so yes it could
be an issue if some crafty black hat hacker decided to make it so.  ;o)
Just my two cents.

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 21:44, tony toni wrote:
Hi,

We have a rule on our firewall that allows all employees to use pcAnywhere
to connect to a host OUTSIDE  of our network.  It is in one direction...that
is from inside our network to an outside host and not vise versa.  Our
firewall administrator, came to me and asks me if I had any security issues
with this.  He does not want the hassle of maintaining a list of employees
that can do this.

I do not see any glaring problems doing this....what do you think?

Tony Graves
Security Services
Walton International Transportation Corp.
Seattle, Wa.

--
ATD <simon () snosoft com>
Secure Network Operations, Inc.