Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pcAnywhere...Outbound Only.

From: Glen Mehn <glen () myvest com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:25:09 -0800

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 21:44, tony toni wrote:
Hi,

We have a rule on our firewall that allows all employees to use pcAnywhere to connect to a host OUTSIDE of our network. It is in one direction...that is from inside our network to an outside host and not vise versa. Our firewall administrator, came to me and asks me if I had any security issues with this. He does not want the hassle of maintaining a list of employees that can do this.

I do not see any glaring problems doing this....what do you think?

it just depends on how sensitive the traffic is: it's not encrypted, or it wasn't the last time I used PC Anywhere. You can tunnel VNC connections through ssh, though (it's tough to tunnel PC Anywhere, as it uses multiple ports and uses udp)

-g

--
Glen Mehn               glen () myvest com
Systems Administrator   MyVest, LLC