Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pcAnywhere...Outbound Only.

From: "Nuzman" <nuzman () shreve net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:38:37 -0600

Working within reasonable limitations is always our challenge for security.
I was taught practically that at least as far as the Internet connection
goes, trust your internal users and don't trust the outside world. You can
apply a security policy to this limiting services without restricting by
user or IP and still be trusting of the inside world. Note, this does not
mean you trust everyone inside with regard to specific internal or DMZ
systems... only the perimeter.

I think it's quite reasonable to allow all users pcAnywhere access to a
specific address. I assume the same service to all other addresses is denied
and only a very few people will ever know that specific address which is
allowed.

We do something similar in allowing Citrix access outbound to an outsourced
HR server farm. We're not set up yet to be able to grant permissions through
the firewall based on the network logon. Until we can do that, it is a
reasonable risk to allow everyone access to that server farm since 99.8
percent of the company have no idea they could or the address to access. We
do restrict Citrix access out to all other addresses.

Cheers!

Nuzman