Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: tools used to examine a computer

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:42:45 -0000

I would back up the use of Encase and TASK toolkits @stack have some
good stuff too (www.atstake.com look for latest tool download). Also
BackByte is an excellent tool.  Well it works for me :)

Also on the point of copying files over the network first, correct me if
I'm wrong but that damages the chain of evidence.  Have a look at the
link below, goes about it a bit long winded but essentially shows how to
clone a hard drive over a network connection.  This can be done with
Windows machines as DD and Netcat can be run from floppy on a Windows
machine.  Never install anything on a disk that is being investigated as
part of that investigation, run it from floppy.  Then analise the clone.
I have the details of cloning a windows machine with DD and Netcat if
you need them, just can't find the link at the moment.

http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html

Hope this helps

By the way don't forget to note your MD5 signature before working on
clones.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie