Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:40:01 -0700

  The usual issue is that the firewall the client is behind is
doing NAT (Network Address Translation) and the encapsulation
by the VPN software includes an encrypted copy of the client's
IP address.  At the VPN server (in your case, the SonicWall),
the "envelope" source IP address had been altered by the NAT,
and doesn't match what's inside the encrypted packet -- so the
server rejects it.

  Many VPN implementations include a "use UDP" mode that
sidesteps this issue.  I don't see any mention of this on
SonicWall's Pro230 site, though, so I suspect it might not.
(It might appear as a configuration option on the client
software....)

David Gillett