Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Server and External Access

From: "Nick Duda" <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:28:23 -0400

You don't need windows advanced server for FE/BE setup. Only if you want to cluster the exchange servers.
I wouldn't recommend putting FE in DMZ, because you need to punch holes into your firewall aside of 80/443.

Its very simple. If you cant get approval for enterprise edition exchange then you can install another exchange
standard server. Do not allow any mailboxes on the database or pub folders. Generate SSL certs for the owa server and
the normal server. The only problem is they may get prompted for 2 authentications because of the SSL certs and the
move between physical servers. Lock down the owa server (i.e. smtp, iiscan, gpo's, ...etc)

my .02

- Nick