Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Question

From: Schneider Sebastian <ses () straightliners de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:28:08 +0200

If the IPSec protocol selected is ESP in tunnel mode everything should work
out  with NAT as long as the firewall at the co-worker's remote location
doesn't block outbound traffic from port 500. Some paranoid people configure
their firewalls to drop that traffic,however.

It is required to use port 500 for ISAKMP for it has been assigned by IANA and
is described in RFC2408.

You can however contact the appropriate technical contact of that very
location and ask her to open up that port for use with ISAKMP/VPN. Usually
they just don't know.

Fur further questions feel free to send me an e-mail or give me a buzz.

Sebastian