Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Terminal Services over VPN

From: "Craig Janssen" <cjanssen () mail millikin edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:13:28 -0500

According to Microsoft, it's secure... there are three security settings
for RDP in the terminal services configuration administrative tool (low,
medium, high).  High uses 128-bit encryption, so it's not quite as good
as 3DES or AES, but it's better than nothing.  I use terminal services
with encryption on high coupled with an RSA SecurID OTP authenticator to
remote admin my servers pretty regularly.. just make sure your remote
workstation is behind a firewall itself so you have less of a chance of
getting your session hijacked.

Craig

______________________________
Craig Janssen, MCP, A+
Network and Internet Services Manager
Millikin University Information Technology Dept
(217) 362-6488
cjanssen () mail millikin edu

"David Y. Ng" <dng () cmhsweb org> 08/14/03 02:42PM >>>
Has anyone used Terminal Services over Microsoft's VPN
server? I need to run some program off the server and when I
used just the VPN, it was terribly slow. The solution on paper
is to run the program off Terminal Services and just let it
pass through the VPN which could be faster, supposedly.

Any experiences with this? Is Terminal Services in itself
secure? I read there's some form of encryption also but
is it comparable to VPN in a way?