Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Terminal Services over VPN

From: David Moisan <dmoisan () davidmoisan org>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:03:44 -0400

At 03:42 PM 8/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Has anyone used Terminal Services over Microsoft's VPN
server? I need to run some program off the server and when I
used just the VPN, it was terribly slow. The solution on paper
is to run the program off Terminal Services and just let it
pass through the VPN which could be faster, supposedly.

I've used TS in admin mode over VPN to administer a server. I've found that SMB traffic--anything like \\someserver\someshare *is* slow thought it runs.

TS itself, though, is reasonably fast. I don't notice that much of a slowdown when going through my 1.5M/128 DSL to the 1.5M/384 service at work. (TS (or anything) over two ADSL links back to back yields to the slowest link, which is my 128K uplink.)

I'd say it could work.

Take care,

Dave

Any experiences with this? Is Terminal Services in itself
secure? I read there's some form of encryption also but
is it comparable to VPN in a way?

David Moisan, N1KGH   ARES/SKYWARN             dmoisan () davidmoisan org
Invisible Disability:  http://www.davidmoisan.org/invisible_disability.html
ATS-909 FAQ:  http://www.davidmoisan.org/radio/sangean/ats909faq.html