Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spy Software & Internet/Email Monitoring

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:08:23 +0100

If you have received this message in error please notify SYSNET Ltd., at
telephone no: +353-1-2983000 or postmaster () sysnet ie

It is very interesting that these two threads are running side by side
on the list.  I didn't note who sent the original post on the spyware
but anyway might have your boss look into the legalitites of spyware
software being used with employees.  They must be informed they are
being monitored is the jist of the other thread on monitoring.  The
phone home in the mail below this is not a happy thought either and
makes you wonder what right the software had to do that.  Must have a
look at the license agreement there!!!.  AppWatcher is another one which
produces screen shots etc and was shareware or freeware last time I
looked.  But these types of software are very intrusive and should be
handled with care.  What is your bosses plan of action if he finds 20
employees mis-using company resources two days after the software is
installed.  Disaster recovery and business continuity plans spring to
mind.  Has he a policy in place?.  Is HR aware of this monitoring?.  Are
the companies legal people aware of it and how to handle the information
in an unfair dismissal case?
You have to install it on all workstations or else you could be accused
of discrimnating.

Anyway that's my two cents as the saying goes.

But I will point out that these two threads certainly show the value of
this list and long may it continue :)

Trevor Cushen