Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spy Software

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 12 Apr 2003 11:08:05 -0000

The recorded data is saved in a
C:\winnt\system32\netext\ folder but no
exec.  There is nothing unusual listed in Task Manager
that would lead me to
the application running in the background.  Would
anyone happen to know how
exactly this application works.

I don't have a copy of the software to tell you exactly
what's going on.  However, a quick search on Google led
to this:
http://www.interhack.net/pubs/spector/

According to the above review, an obfuscation technique
is used.  Therefore, it may not be an obvious
process...if you go to the SysInternals site, for
example, and grab a copy of listdlls.exe and run it on
your system, you'll get not only the DLLs associated w/
each process/PID, but the command line used to launch
the process, as well.  You'll likely find your
suspicious process this way.

The other possibility is, of course, API hooking, a la
Greg Hoglund's rootkit techniques.  As the review isn't
specific, this could be a possibility, as well.

I'd suggest that you find a copy of InControl5, and
install it on a system, and then run the first phase.
Then install this spy software, and then run the second
phase of InControl.  You'll see exactly what's
installed or modified.

Also, all of the reviews I found online indicate that
this software opens a "backchannel" (gawd, how I hate
it when techies make up terms) to a remote site.  Most
of the reviewer seem to have found the connection only
after installing and running Spector Pro, yet none
seems to have done any sort of analysis at all.  This
is just something to be aware of...

I believe a user would have the right to
know what is running on their system, and I'm kinda
ticked off that Spector
Soft denys such information.

It doesn't sound at all as if the tech guys at
SpectorSoft are denying anything...they simply aren't
telling you.  Also, I also believe that a user has the
right to know what's running on their system - however,
in your case, these aren't the user's systems at all,
are they?  The systems belong to the company.  By
extension, then, the company (ie, your boss) has the
right to know what's going on on their systems.

Harlan

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.