Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Interesting One

From: ATD <simon () snosoft com>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 18:08:05 -0500

I have heard similar claims from "agencies" about the ability to recover
data after multiple re-writes. I also happen to know that several of
these "agencies" when doing drive disposal, literally drill holes in
their drives then incinerate them. That is after they wipe the drive
clean several times. I'd assume that there is a reason for such
paranoia, wouldn't you?  Or do you think they are just playing it super
safe?