Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interesting One

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:29:08 -0000

I believe the DOD level is 7 overwrites before the data is deemed
unrecoverable.  Bear in mind however that the DOD practise is to burn
the hard drive as part of the disposal procedure.

I used @Stake autopsy and found it very quick and easy to use for
recovery of deleted files.

BackByte is another good tool but not free like Autopsy.  The 30
overwrites and still getting data I don't believe however.  I would
imagine the disk was used again about 30 times but the recovered data
was on a section of disk that had not been reused.  I don't rule out
that it can be done but not by anything on the market.  If you are
really unsure try posting your query to the people at Vogon.
www.vogon.co.uk

They are the best at this stuff bar none.  Read some of their news
stories for just how realistic computer forensics is.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie
Tel: +353 1 2983000