Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interesting One

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:19:05 -0500

I was wrong on my original post.  I forgot to mention that you should
zero fill the drive THREE times to meet the NSA standard.  A buddy of
mine who has done some highly classified work says they had to write a
"random pattern of bits three times" to the media.  Other media (hard
drives, tapes . .. .) were destroyed.  My employer also simply destroys
the media.

It is generally considered that after 3 times of being overwritten (the
previous respondant was correct that the OS only deletes the pointer to
the data when it "deletes" the file), the data is unrecoverable.  Simply
overwriting it once will do the trick for most cases, but the NSA
standards are designed for instances where the "other side" has lots of
resources (other governments).  Keep in mind that the goal of security
is to figure out if your measures are truly cost effective.  I am not
gonna zero fill my drive 3 times.  If someone is willing to deploy an
electron scanning microscope to see my "fascinating" .pst file, I will
just burn it to a CD and send the darn thing to them.