Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SendMail and DNS running on same Machine

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:53:48 -0700

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:34:17AM -0800, Naman Latif wrote:
Hi,
Are there any security issues involved if we run DNS Server (BIND 9.2.1)
and Mail Server (Sendmail 11.8) on the same physical machine (in DMZ) ?

There may be, but I think it solves more problems than it makes.

I have been running as such for a few years, no problems have ever
arrisen because of it.  It also keeps our main DNS servers happier
because they don't get beaten up by our mail servers making a query
every other millisecond.

Depending on the size of your mail load, I recommend combining your
DNS and mailserver for the performance alone.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science