Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NetBIOS Messenger spam - how did it get in?

From: stef <stefmit () starband net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:48:31 -0600

It is not as simple as it was presented here - in theory it could be done
through source routing (and this assuming that all devices on the way
"cooperate" in letting you do that) - you first do a traceroute from the
station you want to reach it from, to the external interface of the NAT-in
device, then record all hops, then create packets source-routed with all the
hops included, and the last one the 192.x.y.z internal address ... but due to
many routers not allowing source-routing, this will probably fail :(
Stef