Security Basics mailing list archives

newbie firewall question

From: <admin-f () demoney net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:59:11 -0500

Good morning Felix...

Looks as if the rules are in the reverse order they should be. Firewalls
parse rules top to bottom. Suppose you had "allow in le0 90" and then
"deny in le0 all". The packet is compared to each rule. The first one
that allows it to pass it will. If it doesn't meet the rules allowing it
to enter, it will reach the "deny all" or "clean up rule" or whatever
you please. If in fact these rules are in the order they are, and rl0 is
the external interface, you are denying access to all packets FIRST,
without looking any further.

I don't believe it has anything to do with your nat...

Hope this helps

David DeMoney
Senior Systems / Security Engineer
Industrial Information Systems