Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitored.By.hAcxFtpScan

From: Gene Barlow <btraquer () att net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:30:09 -0700

James,

I've seen the same thing, but it was a few months ago. I setup a honeypot on my home DSL line. I can't remember exactly the folder name, but it did have the "Monitored.By." part in it. Later, I discovered that "they" turned my FTP server into a 0day FTP site - so watch out, you may shortly be distributing illegal software and not know it. It was a great experience to observe this, just be careful that you don't unintentionally do anything illegal. If you like, and I can find them, I'll be glad to send you the logs from my old FTP server as well as some screen shots of the results I took so you can do some comparison and see if you're on the same course my system was...

Thanks!
Gene...

James McGee wrote:

I found a un-managed ftp server floating around our network.

I am quite sure the machine itself had not been compromised completely, but I found a directory in there with the above name.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

JM