Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitored.By.hAcxFtpScan

From: khayes () eastbay com
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:24:31 -0600

I did a little digging and found that "hAcxFtpScan"  is NOT a Warez Group
but rather a utility a given group (or groups) use to make sure nobody
screws with a site that they have already hacked.  The utility also
monitors the traffic to/from the site and other fun items.   You can
actually download the application AND join the IRC channel supporting the
utility at (http://scakirca.tripod.com/arama.htm)  The link is on the top
row center.

Primarily these types of "pubstros" (hacked systems hosting an FTPD in
stealth mode) are being shared openly via IRC channels.  In particular they
are sharing them with anyone who wants to get a copy of the list of sites
having been compromised.  I don't know Joris' IP address so I can't confirm
if their site made it on these lists or if luck was on their side and
caught the folks before it was used to serve/distribute files.

Finding these lists is extremely easy to find once you have an idea where
to look.  I don't want to include URLs for compromised sites here but if
you do a simple search for "hAcxFtpScan" on Yahoo or Google and ignore the
hits that result from our running thread here, you should be able to get a
good idea of what's going on.  In particular, there is one site being
hosted out of Belgium that's freely giving this information out.  Running a
WHOIS on the domain revealed all sorts of information on the site should
someone be interested in following up on it.  Guess they're not too worried
about security themselves. (smirk)

Ken Hayes
Network Administrator
Eastbay / Footlocker.com
Wausau, WI Offices
(715) 261-9573
khayes () eastbay com

                                         To:     security-basics () securityfocus com

                                         cc:

              Thomas Sjögren             Subject:  Re: Monitored.By.hAcxFtpScan

              <thomas@northernsecurity.n

              et>

              12/04/2002 11:13 AM

              Please respond to thomas