Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitored.By.hAcxFtpScan

From: Joris De Donder <joris () digitaldefense be>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:52:29 +0100

I found a un-managed ftp server floating around our network.

I am quite sure the machine itself had not been compromised completely, but
I found a directory in there with the above name.

Your 'un-managed' ftp server has been found and 'tagged' by warez kids
who are probably planning on using it to store pirated software/movies/mp3's/porn/...

Any help or advice appreciated.
If you don't need the ftp server, disable it. If you do need the ftp
server, disable anonymous access. (based on the limited amount of
information in your post, this is how i guess they got in.)

Joris