Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Case Study books or Websites

From: Brian Olson <brian () sitespinners net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:12:35 -0800

The same Publisher for the Hacking Exposed series also released some good books along the line of computer forensics called "Hacker's Challenge". There are two books in this series and they cover a veriety of comprimises on Windows, *nix, LANs, etc. The way the book is written, it gives you the details of events along a timeline, then asks you a series of questions to test your knowledge. The answers and Administrator's response is detailed in the back of the book.

*Hacker's Challenge : Test Your Incident Response Skills Using 20 Scenarios*
   By - Mike Schiffman
   - McGraw-Hill Osborne Media; ISBN: 0072193840

*Hacker's Challenge 2: Test Your Network Security & Forensic Skills
   *By* - *Mike Schiffman
   - McGraw-Hill Osborne Media; ISBN: 0072226307

I've read the first book and found it to be very good. I just orded the second book.

Hope this helps =)

- Brian Olson

Simon Taplin wrote:

Does anybody know of some good books or websites that contain case studies
about computer security breakins and what the admin did/should have done to
correct the problems. I found the case studies in Hacking Linux Exposed very
interesting and I am looking to learn anything from those type of stories.
Anything from the very simple to the complex would be appreciated.

Thanks
Simon

---