Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Adware, spyware, and trojans

From: Gene <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:10:59 -0800

you could try running something like ntop and identify specific port that "known" malware communicates in, and run a script to alert you on these incidents... i guess this would be a long way, but you could also do this with snort sensors, which i have done at work to run these specific communicating ports.

i'm not sure if there is a single solution, as you can see that i have multiple tools to monitor security in general...

gene

Carere, Courtney wrote:
A lot of people have been suggesting Adaware to me, which is a great piece
of software that I knew about, but unfortunately it must be run on each
computer individually (as opposed to a server) and doesn't allow much room
for automation...

I think what I was thinking about wasn't so much spyware as software that
would search out running Trojans...maybe scanning for established
connections on ports used as the default for some well-known trojans,
something like that.  As far as I know, antivirus software doesn't do this.

- - Courtney Carere

--
Gene Yoo, gyoo () attbi com