Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Visual Studio 2022

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:02:34 +0000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 18:55, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

On 1/15/22 4:37 AM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Jan 15, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem () gmail com> wrote:

Anders Broman wrote:

Hi,
Yes sounds like a good idea. Have been contemplating testing it too.

I just installed the "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022"

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2022

"These Build Tools allow you to build Visual Studio projects from a
command-line interface."

Does that mean

      this is Visual Studio without the "Visual", i.e. it's all the
command-line tools, but without the IDE

or

      if you just install Visual Studio, you don't get the command-line
tools - you also have to install this?

The former sounds like "Command Line Tools for Xcode {version}" on macOS
or "don't install any IDE" on the free-software UN*Xes (I don't know
whether Oracle Studio offers that).

The latter seems less likely, as I think most IDEs either run the
compiler/linker/other tools directly or run some builder program (make,
msbuild, etc.) that runs the compiler/linker/other tools, but I guess if
the core of the compiler/linker are in libraries that the command-line
tools link with and that an IDE program could link with as well (say hello,
LLVM), it would be possible.

The Developer's Guide recommends installing the Native Desktop workload.
Reading through the list of components at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-build-tools?view=vs-2022#desktop-development-with-c

it looks like Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.CoreBuildTools
corresponds to "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022" and
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 includes the compiler.

I set up my environment by running

----
choco install -y visualstudio2022community
visualstudio2022-workload-nativedesktop
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2022\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars64.bat
----

You can specify the workloads as arguments to the

The first line of `cl.exe /?` returns

----
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.30.30706 for x64
----

The MSVC version numbering is somewhat exotic, the table given by Wikipedia
(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B#Internal_version_numbering)
seems accurate, the cl.exe version is the initial value under the _MSC_VER
column.

--
Graham Bloice