Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Visual Studio 2022

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 04:37:50 -0800

On Jan 15, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem () gmail com> wrote:

Anders Broman wrote:

Hi,
Yes sounds like a good idea. Have been contemplating testing it too.

I just installed the "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022"
 https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2022

"These Build Tools allow you to build Visual Studio projects from a command-line interface."

Does that mean

        this is Visual Studio without the "Visual", i.e. it's all the command-line tools, but without the IDE

or

        if you just install Visual Studio, you don't get the command-line tools - you also have to install this?

The former sounds like "Command Line Tools for Xcode {version}" on macOS or "don't install any IDE" on the
free-software UN*Xes (I don't know whether Oracle Studio offers that).

The latter seems less likely, as I think most IDEs either run the compiler/linker/other tools directly or run some
builder program (make, msbuild, etc.) that runs the compiler/linker/other tools, but I guess if the core of the
compiler/linker are in libraries that the command-line tools link with and that an IDE program could link with as well
(say hello, LLVM), it would be possible.