Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Windows HTML Help

From: Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 19:25:34 -0300

El mié, 2 de jun. de 2021 a la(s) 15:43, Gerald Combs
(gerald () wireshark org) escribió:

On 6/1/21 8:08 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Jun 1, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

I just discovered that the HTML Help Workshop download link at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/htmlhelp/microsoft-html-help-downloads

no longer works, and the Chocolatey package now downloads from archive.org:

https://community.chocolatey.org/packages/html-help-workshop#files

Have Microsoft said anything about deprecating HTML Help in favor either of 1) some new help mechanism or 2) just
use an HTML display tool that you hand the URL for your product's documentation?

I can't find any official deprecation notice, but it looks like they stopped updating HTML Help Workshop in 2009 and
have released two succeeding help systems: Microsoft Help 2[1] and Microsoft Help Viewer[2][3]. Both seem to be tied
closely to Visual Studio, and I'm not sure how easy it is to generate content for each format (e.g. Help Viewer topic
markup) using our current toolchain.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_2
[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_Viewer
[3]https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/internals/microsoft-help-viewer-sdk?view=vs-2019

"2003: Microsoft decided not to release Microsoft Help 2 as a general
Help platform. Help 2 remained a Visual Studio Help integration tool."

Basically both succeeding systems ended up being for Microsoft's
internal use and not for third-party apps to use as their main help
system. *Maybe* for when you want your API or plugin docs integrated
with Visual Studio. Windows doesn't really have any viable
offline-help system left.

Maybe Wireshark can ship QtAssistant? :P

--
Nicolás