Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Windows HTML Help

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:42:47 -0700

On 6/1/21 8:08 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Jun 1, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

I just discovered that the HTML Help Workshop download link at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/htmlhelp/microsoft-html-help-downloads

no longer works, and the Chocolatey package now downloads from archive.org:

https://community.chocolatey.org/packages/html-help-workshop#files

Have Microsoft said anything about deprecating HTML Help in favor either of 1) some new help mechanism or 2) just use an
HTML display tool that you hand the URL for your product's documentation?

I can't find any official deprecation notice, but it looks like they stopped updating HTML Help Workshop in 2009 and have
released two succeeding help systems: Microsoft Help 2[1] and Microsoft Help Viewer[2][3]. Both seem to be tied closely to Visual
Studio, and I'm not sure how easy it is to generate content for each format (e.g. Help Viewer topic markup) using our
current toolchain.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_2
[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Help_Viewer
[3]https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/internals/microsoft-help-viewer-sdk?view=vs-2019