Wireshark mailing list archives

Exporting FTP objects

From: Moshe Kaplan <mosheekaplan () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:33:50 -0500

Good afternoon,

I've been working on MR 1611
<https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/1611> for
exporting FTP objects. One of the complexities is that because the
transmitted FTP files are spread across multiple "packets", they need to be
reassembled by the export objects 'tap' into a single block of contiguous
memory, so they can be exported. In the MR's current implementation, this
is done by appending the data from each ftp-data packet as it is received.

Martin Mathieson commented here
<https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/1611#note_774497199>
:
"I would still like to hear more opinions on whether we should export data
that isn't re-ordered/reassembled. I've unfortunately missed the past
couple of developer dens. Maybe ask on the dev list about whether it would
be confuse people, and if it would, whether there are ideas on how to do
it?"

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best deal with the problem of
reordered packets?

Moshe