Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: (1) building Wireshark in build.wireshark fails, (2) how to get dissector details without packet

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:23:21 -0700

On Apr 15, 2021, at 2:03 AM, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com> wrote:

Wireshark is a complicated project to build.  You can follow the tested way, as shown in the Developers Guide, which
is essentially what our Continuous Integration (CI) systems use and most other developers, or you can forge your own
path on less travelled routes strewn with rocks, rusty nails and broken glass that you mostly have to deal with on
your own.

Unless you have some inescapable need to do things in a different way, it's easier and more productive to follow the
herd.

Building in a subdirectory with a name other than "build" isn't exactly a "[route] strewn with rocks, rusty nails and
broken glass".  *That* should Just Work (at least if the name is all ASCII printable characters and contains no
spaces); if it doesn't, that's a sign that the build process isn't robust enough.

Building in the source directory *itself* is a bit more painful, but that doesn't appear to be what we're talking about
here; it sounds as if we're talking about

        mkdir build.wireshark
        cd build.wireshark
        cmake ..
        make